The faculty of Community Studies regularly conduct research and contribute to publications at the forefront of their fields.
- Associate Professor Julie Guthman is a geographer who studies the race, class and body politics of contemporary alternative food movements, with a particular interest in how these are shaped by California's political economy.
- Associate Professor Mary Beth Pudup's research examines the political economy of urban and regional development, with an abiding interest in Appalachia.
- Lecturer and Associate Researcher Andrea Steiner is a gerontologist and health policy researcher who evaluates innovations in healthcare in the US and UK.
- Professor Emerita Nancy Stoller is a noted scholar activist in the analysis of prison conditions in the United States, particularly the health status and care of incarcerated women.
- Professor Emeritus David Wellman is a leading figure in the study of racism in the United States.
- Professor Emerita Deborah Woo studies the myths and realities of Asian Americans as a "model majority."